Every October, artists all over the world take on the Inktober drawing challenge by doing one ink drawing a day the entire month. I didn’t make the whole 30 days but an attempt was made. I chose to use an 8 inch by 5.5 inch sketchbook. The sketches were completed using Staedler pigment liners and a Pigma brush pen. I’m still on my first brush pen and I’m enjoying the opportunity to make a broader variety of marks in comparison to the finer tipped pigment liners.
I’ve been experimenting with my printer scanning function trying to create digital copies that are true to the originals. I’m not entirely there yet. All three of these images were scanned using document scan settings (two in B&W and one in colour) instead of photo scan settings. You can see a marked difference in how the printer records the information. The document settings result in less “noise” so the whites are a truer white (not so much a textured grey). There is some loss of mid-tones using the B&W document copy settings. The colour document copy settings accentuate the brush pen marks making them appear more distinct than in the original piece but the colours are closer to that original. I did add watercolour to the third sketch so I don’t know if it truly follows the Inktober parameters. The composition wasn’t going to work without it and I didn’t have any coloured pens.
I’m continuing to experiment with my doodles (re: my April 23, 2015 post ).
These 2 are on 8″ x 8″ gessoed hardboard panel. It’s a nice size- not too big and not too small.
There are times when a project I’m working on seems to slow down. There may be a dozen reasons why or not even one but either way an impasse has been reached. When that happens I try to push forward by working on something else. My current untitled series has hit one of those road blocks. My second interpretation was to consist of a triptych (the image divided onto 3 canvases). I’ve started but things are a little “off”. I decided to work on a couple of small companion pieces instead. The female figure is based on a photograph of an historic interpreter I came across in a newspaper several years ago. The male figure is based on a photograph I took several years ago at a period museum re enactment event. I felt they would be good companion pieces as they reflected differences and similarities (agriculture, season, gender, period interpretation). The canvases are 5 x7 so it was a fun little project on the side. I worked for a number of years in the hand painted gift ware sector, mass producing folk art for the retail market. In small pieces I often see a reflection of those techniques. It’s not a purposeful act…more of a muscle memory thing perhaps.