The Pearce Park is just up the road from where I live and it affords a limited access (the area is a bit unstable because of erosion) to the bluffs along the Lake Erie shoreline. The first sketch below was done last autumn and depicts the view from the outlook path over the cliffs. I was looking at the sketch a couple of days ago and in hindsight found it a little “flat” so I added some colour. The second drawing is a rendering of crown imperials that are growing in the garden at the side of my house. Crown imperials bloom around the same time as trilliums so it’s usually a solid sign that spring (thankfully) has definitely arrived.
Below is a study of autumn milkweed rendered in acrylic on rag paper. A subscriber to my other blog – http://www.odds8ends.wordpress.com – asked why I use photos with my posts instead of drawings or paintings. To be honest I never really considered it simply because my own photographs and words have always been the standard I applied when posting there. The study below is a little step into exploring possible methods of creating images to use with text on that blog.
I’ve been busy putting together a small show that’s currently running at a local performing arts centre. Here are 3 new pieces that I included in the exhibit. They’re all acrylic on 6′ x 6′ gallery wrapped canvas.
It’s a little hard to get an idea of the scale of these small canvases. I refrained from cropping this photo in order to provide reference points to better illustrate the sizes.
Last week I headed 600 km north to spend 5 days in Killarney Provincial Park. It’s a great time of year to camp up north as there aren’t a lot of bugs out, there aren’t as many people around as in summer, and the fall colours are incredible. With days full of hiking, canoeing, and trying to keep warm (plus the early autumn sunsets), there wasn’t much time for art but I did manage to do some rough, super quick, pen and water colour sketches.
This is another piece executed on a 6″ by 6″ birch plywood panel. I didn’t cropped the jpeg closely as I wanted to include a shadow that shows a bit of the depth created by the 1.5″ basswood frame the board is mounted on. I sealed the panel with 2 coats of matt medium to help prevent pigment bleeding as the composition is very busy and I wanted to reduce any opportunities to add more complexities to image.
This portrait is acrylic on a 2 foot by 3 foot medium rough canvas. The canvas presented a problem as it already had the roughing in for another piece which didn’t get very far. If you’ve ever worked with canvas you know that it can be very difficult to completely eradicate any under painting. I didn’t want to trash the canvas (it was gallery wrapped so it wasn’t cheap). I opted to sand out as much texture as I could and put down 2 layers of opaque undercoat. Finally I incorporated a bit of the spatial characteristics of the original paint sketch to negate any issues that might arise from the canvas having a prior partial life.