This is another piece executed on a 6″ by 6″ birch plywood panel. I didn’t cropped the jpeg closely as I wanted to include a shadow that shows a bit of the depth created by the 1.5″ basswood frame the board is mounted on. I sealed the panel with 2 coats of matt medium to help prevent pigment bleeding as the composition is very busy and I wanted to reduce any opportunities to add more complexities to image.
This portrait is acrylic on a 2 foot by 3 foot medium rough canvas. The canvas presented a problem as it already had the roughing in for another piece which didn’t get very far. If you’ve ever worked with canvas you know that it can be very difficult to completely eradicate any under painting. I didn’t want to trash the canvas (it was gallery wrapped so it wasn’t cheap). I opted to sand out as much texture as I could and put down 2 layers of opaque undercoat. Finally I incorporated a bit of the spatial characteristics of the original paint sketch to negate any issues that might arise from the canvas having a prior partial life.